"Second Amendment Law Lessons: Look Beyond the Courts for Freedom"
2018-02-06 17:50:09 UTC
http://reason.com/volokh/2018/02/05/second-amendment-law-lessons-look-beyond

"Second Amendment Law Lessons: Look Beyond the Courts for Freedom"
Excellent advice from Prof. Glenn Harlan Reynolds (InstaPundit), in USA
Today.
Eugene Volokh|Feb. 5, 2018 4:56 pm
Guns
D.C. v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago were important, symbolically
and in the long term (because symbolism often matters in the long term). But
the concealed-carry revolution, carried on over the last 30 years in state
legislatures throughout the country, has been much more practically
significant: From about ten states in 1986 in which pretty much any
law-abiding adult could get a license to carry a concealed gun (or didn't
even a license), we've moved to about forty such states (see the animation
below, by Jeff Dege). And with a very few exceptions -- mainly Illinois,
which went shall-issue as a result of Second Amendment litigation, and
perhaps Vermont, which hasn't required a license since a 1903 Vermont
Supreme Court state constitutional right to bear arms case -- this has
stemmed from legislative victories. As Glenn says,

There are two lessons [here].... One is that courts can't always be counted
on. The other is that there are other ways to protect civil rights than
filing a lawsuit. Just as Brown v. Board of Education got the desegregation
ball rolling, but it took the Civil Rights Act of 1964, a decade later, to
really affect institutions, I think it's fair to say that the Heller
decision made a difference, but legislation is having more of an actual
impact.

[UPDATE: To see an animated version of the item below, click here; I'm not
sure why this version doesn't come out animated.]

2018-02-07 04:13:38 UTC
On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 09:50:09 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
Post by Michael Ejercito
http://reason.com/volokh/2018/02/05/second-amendment-law-lessons-look-beyond
"Second Amendment Law Lessons: Look Beyond the Courts for Freedom"
Excellent advice from Prof. Glenn Harlan Reynolds (InstaPundit), in USA
Why do you, as an illegal entrant to America, give two shits about the
2nd Amendment?
The Peeler
2018-02-07 09:46:32 UTC
On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 23:13:38 -0500, Loose Sphincter, the unhappily married
http://reason.com/volokh/2018/02/05/second-amendment-law-lessons-look-beyond
"Second Amendment Law Lessons: Look Beyond the Courts for Freedom"
Excellent advice from Prof. Glenn Harlan Reynolds (InstaPundit), in USA
Why do you, as an illegal entrant to America, give two shits about the
2nd Amendment?
HE is no "illegal entrant", Loose Sphincter. But YOU are a sick asshole!
...and you KNOW it! <BG>
--
Loose Sphincter about his predilection:
"Foreskins, and only foreskins. That's my life."
2018-02-07 12:30:49 UTC
Why do you, as an illegal entrant to America, give two shits about the
2nd Amendment?
Why do you, as a glue-huffing pedophile, even bother posting?

[chuckle]

not coming to holocaust me.

2018-02-07 17:05:57 UTC
Why do you, as an illegal entrant to America, give two shits about the
2nd Amendment?
I am an American citizen.
Post by The Jews
Why do you, as a glue-huffing pedophile, even bother posting?
What else is there for him?

M***@thruhikinggear.com