Jack Marshall on Red Flag Laws
2019-09-10 05:53:32 UTC
http://ethicsalarms.com/2019/09/09/brand-new-week-full-of-hope-and-promise-morning-ethics-warm-up-9-9-2019/

3. And this is why our rights are in real and immediate danger. From the
Washington Post:

“Americans across party and demographic lines overwhelmingly support
expanded background checks for gun buyers and allowing law enforcement to
temporarily seize weapons from troubled individuals, according to a
Washington Post-ABC News poll, as President Trump and Republicans face fresh
pressure to act.”

“Allowing law enforcement to temporarily seize weapons from troubled
individuals,” aka the “red flag” laws, is a violation of due process, the
Second Amendment, and also a “pre-crime” measure. The public support sit
because a) unscrupulous politicians demagogue the issue of gun control,
b)the average American, thanks to our incompetent public school system, can’t
distinguish a constitutional right from prickly pear, and c) limiting the
rights of hypothetical “bad people” is so easy, compared to when one’s own
rights are being infringed.

This is a useful poll, because it shows how vulnerable the ignorant are to
politicians who want to take over their autonomy and weaken our democracy
under the impetus of “do something.” Who is going to explain to these
millions of inattentive people with weak critical thinking skills why “red
flag” laws are the totalitarian camel;s nose in the tent? President Trump,
with his junior high school level rhetoric? Me, with my essays that violate
Facebook standards? The news medi-ack! Ack! Gag! Cough! I couldn’t even that
ridiculous possibility out. Who?

And who gets to define a “troubled individual”? Anyone with symptoms of
depression, anxiety, or stress? That describes 90% of the people I know.
Those with irrational anger and obsessions? That’s the entire Trump-hating
Facebook Borg, based on my reading this week. People with rocky marriages,
conflicts at work with supervisors and co-workers; ranting bloggers? Charles
M. Blow? Kurt Schlicter? Stephen Colbert? Alec Baldwin?

We have a dumb, ignorant, lazy, badly educated, civically incompetent
electorate that the news media and politicians want to make worse on all
counts, and work constantly to accomplish that goal.

Just Wondering
2019-09-10 17:49:04 UTC
[...]
And because the left-wing pro-gun-control media, bolstered by
those unscrupulous politicians, whips the uninformed public
into an emotional frenzy.
Post by Michael Ejercito
This is a useful poll, because it shows how vulnerable the ignorant are
to politicians who want to take over their autonomy and weaken our
democracy under the impetus of “do something.” Who is going to explain
to these millions of inattentive people with weak critical thinking
skills why “red flag” laws are the totalitarian camel's nose in the
tent?
That camel's nose, head and neck are already in the tent.
Now it's pushing its first hump forward.
Michael Ejercito
2019-09-12 15:13:06 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
[...]
What is jarring is that the U.S. is safer than it has ever been in
DECADES.

The average likelihood of becoming a victim of criminal homicide is about
the same as it was in the late 1950's.