2020 Democrats: Gun Groupthink and New Hampshire Brain Freeze
2020-02-11 17:44:44 UTC
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2020-democrats-gun-groupthink-and-new-hampshire-brain-freeze/

2020 Democrats: Gun Groupthink and New Hampshire Brain Freeze
BY TTAG CONTRIBUTOR |FEB 10, 2020 |39 COMMENTS
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
LINKEDIN
EMAIL
Election 2020 Debate
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., center, makes
a point between Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., left, and businessman Tom Steyer
during a Democratic presidential primary debate, Friday, Feb. 7, 2020,
hosted by ABC News, Apple News, and WMUR-TV at Saint Anselm College in
Manchester, N.H. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

By Larry Keane

Call it gun control brain freeze. The Democratic presidential candidates
pained themselves into contortions on the New Hampshire debate stage last
week in what was clearly symptomatic of sucking on the straw of the same
ice-cold talking point concoctions.

ADVERTISING

It hurts the head just thinking about it.

Democratic candidates were finally forced to take questions on their plans
for gun control. None of the answers were original and offered only
ignorance of facts, vilification and double-speak.

It would have been preferable to have a carnival barker at the far end of
the stage shouting out the answers for them. Except they did it themselves,
harping for a ban on modern sporting rifles, continuing to conflate the
semiautomatic rifle with the military’s M-16.

Sen. Sanders Changing Views on Rights
Bernie Sanders
Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) took the first question about how he was
once pro- but is now anti-gun and how did he reconcile his conversion. Sen.
Sanders’ answer was simple.

“The world has changed,” he said.

Sen. Sanders explained that law-abiding Americans should be forced to
surrender fundamental rights over crimes committed by individuals. Sanders
argued that since he and other gun control advocates can’t bring themselves
to hold the actual criminals responsible for the crimes they commit, then
the rights of all Americans aren’t worthy of Constitutional protections.
They should be altered, chipped away and rewritten to match popular moods.
This, of course, doesn’t make them rights at all, but privileges granted by
a ruling mob, only to be yanked when the winds shift and the group thinks
differently.

On Sen. Sanders’ list of changes, he said he’d end the “straw man
provision.” Sen. Sanders should already know that lying on a background
check form by stating the firearm is for you when it is really for someone
else is already a felony punishable with a $250,000 fine and 10 years in
prison.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation has partnered with the Bureau of
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) for 20 years to educate
retailers and warn the public of this danger through the Don’t Lie for the
Other Guy program.

Former VP Biden: Sue the Industry
Joe Biden
Democratic presidential candidate former Vice President Joe Biden (AP
Photo/Richard Drew)

Former Vice President Joe Biden tried to burnish his credentials as being a
“middle ground” guy by saying he was from a “major gun owning state,”
without clarifying if that was Pennsylvania, where Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf
is calling for more gun control even as he slashes budgets for school
security, or Delaware, where the former vice president was once a senator
and from which he proudly laid claim to authoring the 1994 Assault Weapons
Ban.

His answer to confronting criminal misuse of firearms, though, was as
predictable as it is wrong. It’s hardly surprising, since he previously
called the firearms industry “the enemy.” He again attacked the Protection
of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

“First thing I’ll do as President is work to get rid of that,” said the
former vice president. “We ought to be able to sue the gun industry.” By
that logic, GM and Ford should get ready to defend themselves against
lawsuits for drunk driving crimes.

Sen. Warren: More Gun Control to Fix Failed Gun Control
Elizabeth Warren
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., speaks
during a town hall meeting at Grinnell College, Monday, Nov. 4, 2019, in
Grinnell, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) admitted that every other attempt at gun
control failed and what’s really needed is more gun control.

“We need to think of this problem not as one and done or three things and
done,” Sen. Warren explained. “We just keep coming back. We treat it like
the public health emergency that it is.”

Sen. Sanders agreed. He said reinstating the failed ban on semiautomatic
rifles was just the start.

“We make certain that we end the sale and distribution of assault weapons in
this country, and we go further,” he said. “We go further, but at the bottom
line is I will not be intimidated by the NRA.”

Except there are two immediate problems with those argument. First, it
admits that every gun control law shoved down the throats of law-abiding
Americans is a failure. That would suggest each candidate is only offering a
circular path and leading to unending calls for more gun control until
confiscation happens.

Second, it ignores the fact crime fell even after the 1994 Assault Weapons
Ban expired and sales of the most popular centerfire rifle climbed to more
than 17.7 million in circulation today. The FBI just reported the 2019
preliminary reports showed crime continues to fall. Violent crimes fell 3.1
percent while property crimes fell 5.6 percent. Those aren’t off years.
Those are continuing trends over several years of falling crime rates.

Mayor Pete: Go After Criminals, Except Not for Guns
Pete Buttigieg
Democratic presidential candidate former South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete
Buttigieg (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

But Mayor Pete Buttigieg, former mayor for South Bend, Ind., accidentally
made sense. Except he didn’t know it and won’t admit it. Buttigieg was
defending against accusations his policies on drug enforcement were racially
imbalanced. He countered that South Bend law enforcement focused “cases
where there was a connection to the most violent group or gang connected to
a murder.”

So, Mayor Pete would go after those who commit the crimes in the name of
drug enforcement, but when it comes to guns, the law-abiding must surrender
their guns and their rights.

That’s gun control brain freeze. It’s what happens when you drink up the gun
control too quickly. None of it makes sense and it just hurts.

Larry Keane is SVP for Government and Public Affairs, Assistant Secretary
and General Counsel of the National Shooting Sports Foundation.
Just Wondering
2020-02-11 19:07:09 UTC
[...]
This is what real common-sense gun control looks like:
https://www.frontsight.com/
https://pgpft.com/Course-Catalog/Defensive-Handgun-Courses/
https://firearmtraining.nra.org/
https://eddieeagle.nra.org/
https://www.huntercourse.com/
It's all about knowing how safely to control your guns.